What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

In recent years, there has been a vast increase in the number of students who choose to develop their professional networks, such as Mattermost, Brightspace, and Zoom. From my own experience, I study from several different digital platforms which I never tried before.
BrightSpace: UVic chooses BrightSpace to replaced the original D2L in the last term. Compare with the last D2L, BrightSpace has higher efficiency and a more intuitive interface. Students can easily find the materials they need to complete their homework. In my opinion, “upcoming events” remind me of the important event in the next few days.
Zoom: a common video communication for most teachers. Compare with Skype. Zoom does better on help the interaction between teachers and students.
Mattermost: “is an open-source, self-hostable online chat service with file sharing, search, and integrations”. Mattermost is mostly regarded as an alternative to the more popular Slack.

What could the student consider in expanding their professional learning network?

As a student, I had signed up on different platforms to expand my professional learning network. In China, consider the update frequency and scope of use, I prefer to use an online platform called “EduSoho” to learn Math, English, and Physics. “EduSoho” not only supports graphic, audio, and video teaching but also supports OBS remote screen recording live broadcast, WeChat voice interactive live broadcast, video live broadcast teaching, etc.

After I came to Canada, the platform which I used usually is “Chegg”. Chegg is a membership platform. After people pay for membership on Chegg, they could get help from teachers online. These teachers not only give you the answers but also explain every step. This platform helped me a lot in calculus and passed the calculus course.

In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

In fact, I tried to create a digital identity to show the best face of myself. I always use my photo with a smile as my profile picture, It seems that I am very friendly and shorten the distance from others. In addition, I never post unnecessary information on the network. Sometimes, leaking too much private information on the Internet will cause unnecessary trouble. All in all, I created a digital identity to leave a good impression to communicate with others more efficiently.

Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them – can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity of employment?

When I applied for a job, I do not think it will hinder the opportunity of employment, because I showed the best of myself in public networks. Moreover, the local employers might more focus on my ability rather than the result of searching.